Sunday, October 2, 2011

Blog Post #2: Inspiration

My inspirations for functional pottery come from many different outlets in my life including pictures, experiences and how functional something is. Because of my abilities of throwing or carving I’m limited to what I can create.  I try to base what I make after thing that I have seen or used that is convent and functional.  I like to make things that other people could use in everyday life whether it is a bowl, vase or a coffee mug.  I try and carve scenery shots on the outside of some pieces and that was originally inspired by my husband who also does this.  He usually carves a fishing scene (because he is a commercial fisherman) into his work but I am more interested in cool places that we have been and seen.  The scene that I have done the most is the Great Pyramids of Gaza but I would like to try some other one this quarter. 

3 comments:

  1. have you actually been to see the pyramids?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, we went a few years ago. We also visited Jordan, Israel, and Turkey along with most of Europe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How cool.

    Did you see any ceramics while you were traveling? I have heard that ceramics in Turkey are impressive, though I haven't seen them in person.

    I'd also like to see the mosaics and arabesques traditionally used in design in the middle east. I saw them when I visited Spain but I was so young I didn't really know what I was looking at.

    ReplyDelete